Why I find driving a challenge?


Ladies are good in multitasking they say, don’t they? And the ladies are bad at driving, they say, isn’t it? So, trying to put these two things together, I am trying to figure out what is it about driving that makes us women so.....whatever, at least me, as I acknowledge that there are many good lady drivers out there. Every time I am asked this question, do you drive, I respond with a smile, I have a DL! It is for the other person to make out whether I use the DL for driving or as an identity card J

As of now, I have attended two rounds of professional, driving classes, and I am not sure, if those guys are still teaching others!  I have always ridden two wheelers from a young age and so there is no road fear and I know the rules and can weave a vehicle through the traffic easily. So, then why is this Uhhhhh.....kind of feeling towards driving? For one, the terrible Bangalore traffic every time I get out discourages me a lot. You have to be aggressive enough to find your way forward or else you are left behind. You should learn how to disregard or ump signals or how to ignore the honking people who are following you on a narrow road, and always in a hurry! That’s not for me for certain; I can either concentrate on the wheel in my hand and road ahead or on the other idiots around me!

For another, the moment I sit in the driver’s seat, I realize that I have to ‘operate’ too many things, clutch (why the hell do we need it anyway!!!!), brake, accelerator ....three things to be managed with two legs, kind of feels a bit complicated to me. Especially with the terrible traffic to contend with, there is every chance I may press one in place of another.  Now consider the hands, the steering wheel, the indicators, the horn, the headlights, and the gear and a few other controls as well!!!! Seriously, so many things??? And don’t forget you have the mirrors too.....One instructor told me, madam, you are supposed to look ahead only and not in the mirrors constantly, the one behind will watch out for you J Really, I mean, can you be sure?

Chal, driving is somehow still ok, you can manage, but parking? You have to pause, and really get this straight in your mind. You have to park right and the steering should be turned left, or damn it was it right, left, right, confusion!!!  I mean you need a few trial and errors to get this right, right? But most husbands lose the nerve after a few trials and errors itself, that’s bad and not fair. When they drive, we are supposed to keep our mouths shut, but when we drive, they can’t shut up even for a second.  No, don’t accelerate so much, press the damn brake, don’t you know how to release that clutch still, didn’t you see that fellow coming, when do you plan to use the gears and that was the  WRONG gear,  do you want to get us booked, hey Hold on, you can’t do that, you are supposed to use the RIGHT indicator always and not confuse the people behind, it’s a car, treat it with love and dignity for god’s sake, and it goes on and on and on!  Any wonder then that I ended up where I shouldn’t be more than once! But I am persistent, so got us an automatic car now, that is one item (clutch) less for me worry about in the car, but I still need to find ways to handle the other things in and out of the car, the multitasking part and err.....my husbandJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Travel Back in Time - Hampi, Aihole, Pattadakkal and Badami

October - My Favorite Time Of The Year !!!!!

Forever NIITian